I know I’m a day late but I wanted to offer a special thank you to all of the Veterans who have served our country and who continue to serve our country in the military. Yesterday was a day to remember those who we have lost and to show support for veterans everywhere. But it’s not just November 11th that we should show appreciation to the men and women who have served our country, there are other ways you can get involved during the year that really show veterans just how thankful we are for them and all that they have done.
1. Show up – Over the weekend, there are tons of Veterans Day events in Colorado. Find something in your area and show up to show your support, whether that is participating in a race, attending a parade or serving meals at an event.
2. Donate – There are many amazing organizations that offer all manner of support, services and appreciation for service members. Check out local ones to figure out where you can give back to help servicemen and their families in all areas of life.
3. Put your American flag up – Some people fly their flags all year round but this weekend specifically is a good time to show those stars and stripes.
4. Talk to a veteran about their service – My guess is, everyone knows someone who has served in the military. But have you ever sat down with them and really learned about their story? Sometimes, you don’t need to say anything, just ask them about the time they served, sit back and listen.
5. Write a thank you card – If you know a veteran or even if you don’t, acknowledging their service and a handwritten note can go very far in today’s world. If you don’t know a veteran, you can look up your local military installation and send cards there that they will distribute.
6. Visit a VA hospital – There are great VA hospitals around, do a little research and see if you can find one that you can volunteer at or visit for a day. Sometimes all veterans’ want is to have a friendly face and some company to sit with.
There are so many ways you can give back during Veterans day weekend, but giving back is a full year thing, whether it is giving your time or giving donations, make sure to find ways to say thank you to the veterans in your life.